File conversion from Poser to DAZ3D?

For a scene I'm doing in DAZ3D I needed a checkerboard. Someone recommended this source: http://www.sharecg.com/v/71248/browse/11/Poser/Cards-Dice-Backgammon-Chess-Checkers I went to it and found the checkerboard in it exactly what I wanted--not a fancy wooden board like the only one I could find in DAZ but the old style black and red checked board that could be folded and carried around. And it is a free download! (I should add that the set does include metal, stone, and wood versions of a checkerboard as well as the version I need.) The problem is that it is designed for Poser, not DAZ. I had hoped to be able to use it anyway, but it is in a different format from DAZ files. It shows as two files: a .png and a .cr2 file. I admit to complete ignorance as to what a .cr2 file is. Can either of these be converted to a file that can be used in DAZ, and if so, how?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,067

cr2 is the format for poser figures (ie a 3D item with a skeleton). DS should be able to load it directly provided you put it in a Poser content directory, but you may need to adjust the materials slightly.

To install this zip in DS:

unzip in a temp folder, the take the "Runtime" folder and put it in your content library so that it merges with the Runtime folder you already have there.

Open DS, check in preferences that the folder containing Runtime is registered as a Poser content directory, add it if it's not.

Then go to the Content Library tab (NOT Smart Content), and look under Poser Formats > Figures, you should find those items there in a subfolder.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,173
    edited June 2016

DAZ Studio can load .cr2 files. It won't appear in smart content (unless the creator made metadata for it, which is unlikely), but you can load it from Content Library.

You will need to make sure that the location you install it to is defined in DAZ Studio as a Poser Format library. Then you will need to find the .cr2 file - it should appear under "Figures" in whatever sub-folder the creator named it. Duble-cllick as usual to load it. One thing to note is that the materials may not look very good in DAZ Studio. There's at least one thread somewhere in this forum about converting materials to look better - I'll try and find it.

ETA: Sorry for the crosspost with Leana - I must be typing too slowly! I tried a Google search for the forum threads I'm thinking of but I couldn't find anything useful.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • rose_78372rose_78372 Posts: 18

Thanks for these very helpful responses. I'll try this tomorrow and leave a post as to how it works out.

I thought I followed the instructions given by both Leana and MelanieL but I guess I didn't fully understand them, as I'm still having no luck in getting the checkers to show in the Content Library. I think the problem is most likely in the placement of the Games files. I placed them in the Runtime folder under My DAZ3D Library. Should I have a separate Runtime folder for Poser files, and if so, how should it be set up? I did do a screen shot of the way I have the Content Directory Manager set up. I'm attaching that as a jpg file. Maybe there's a problem there? Sorry to be so dumb about this. I'm still learning my way around DAZ.

Content Directory Manager.jpg
    450 x 647 - 63K

Did you merge the Runtime folder from the Games download with your existing Runtime folder in C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library? (i.e. so you haven't nested one Runtime folder inside another)

If so, then you should be able to find about 33 items in Content Library under "Poser Format" - "My DAZ 3D Library" - "Figures" - "Arrogathor" - "Games".

If you can't see them, perhaps you could post a screenshot of the Content Library panel as you see it?

Acutally there is something odd I just noticed on that screenshot of your Content Directory Manager - you shouldn't have anything under "DAZ Studio Formats" except the first entry and maybe the third entry (I've no idea what you have in that one as I don't use Reality so I'm not familiar with its library structure) - but there is no need to list Runtime/Libraries nor Runtime/geometries. I'm not sure whether this will actually cause a problem, but you normally only need the top-level library to be listed.

• jcbunnjcbunn Posts: 270
    edited June 2016

For Converting Poser Figures to DAZ Studio

JGreenlees has made several great youtube videos covering this.

along with other great tutorials covering a great many things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yqDoYlScrw

Post edited by jcbunn on

Melanie, thank you! Your last posts provided the key. I now have the checkerboard in my scene, positioned just how and where I want it. I could never have done it without your help.

And thanks to Leana for pointing me in the right direction and to jcbunn for the link to videos that I'm sure will prove helpful on other occasions, though as it turned out I didn't need the video for this one. I'm grateful to all who helped.

Really pleased you got it sorted. I think it was one of JGreenlees threads I was thinking of, so that video link by jcbunn is probably what I remember seeing somewhere.